Monday, June 30, 2008

Revival of TV

After a long hiatus ( TV Withdrawal ), my TV has been re-incarnated. Was I glad to see my old tv placed in its niche in the living room. The happiness was short lived, until I noticed the remote control was of a different make than the one we used, ours was a trademark device, the battery pack at the back was packaged with few strips of metal to connect the batteries +ves and -ves and few pieces of paper to hold it together, all done by us after we had broken the device over a fight!!

I switched on the TV and already had started to miss my old remote. But this was not the only thing I would miss. Minute by minute I realized the main qualities of my old TV that I would go ga-ga over were all gone in this new one owing to the fact that the IC board was completely damaged and had to be replaced with another and hence most of the functionality was screwed up!!!

First and foremost point to notice was the low "Speed of Channel Flicking", channel flicking requires 2 jobs done in quick succession, one being pressing on the Program+ or Program- on your remote, this ofcourse our thumbs have been trained quite well. And the other being the actual changing of the channel on your TV. With the old but new TV, this was a considerable
let-down,there was a black screen popped up for a microsecond while switching the picture from one channel to another(Yes, this is annoying) and the time taken to browse a given number of channels was longer than earlier, effectively it means lower productivity!!

Next was the "-/--/---" button on the remote, I have always hated this one. These are the ones to set the single digit or double digit or triple digits channel. So, in effect you wanted to switch to channel number 45, you had to press "-/--/---" button twice, "4" and "5". How primitive is this? I hate it. The older one was smarted, you had to just click "4" and "5" in succession on voila!! you had channel 45.

Next was the memory, the "Alt C" button, used to go back to the previously watched channel. The older tv had a smart check in its memory and never stored the current and the previous channel to be the same, the newer one doesnot have this. So, if you make a mistake of choosing the same channel, you will end up with duplicacy of the info, what good is this?

Following up on the previous point -memory, the "Alt c" gets refreshed back to "0" everytime you switch off your TV, so in case of a power down, you would not remember which 2 channels you were juggling with prior to it! In a channel band of 1 to 100+ its gonna be a huge task to find what you were watching earlier!!!! A major let down.

All in all, the experience of watching TV has been drastically pulled down with my old but new TV. Its got the same body, but the soul has been changed. Watching TV is no more fun, high time I need to think about changing the set. Its going to be hard to give up which was once a beauty and a great old friend.

PS: I still am a huge TV junkie. I have managed to sit though whole of Sunday glued to this TV even with all its limitations.

5 comments:

FlyingHigh said...

Haha..I know what you mean!

We got tata sky recently, it comes with its own remote and 3 digit channels. You can save only 20 channels as favorites. Which means, not only should I remember 3 digit channel numbers (because they give around million useless channels but so much time is wasted in pressing those 3 digits.

And worse theres a blue screen that comes between channels, I hate that so much..good thing though tatasky comes with tv guide, so when its blue for that fraction of a second you can read below what is the show thats on and switch rather than waiting for the picture.

But yeah, I want an efficient system, this ones too slow!

I blogged a bit...and have linked you in the the left. You might get some of my visitors :P

raven said...

hehe!!
glad to know you face the same problems..:) misery needs company u kno..

Anonymous said...

logon ko kuch kam nahin hain.. shuru kar dethey hain blogging.. bijli ka problem hain tho jaakey complaint karo electricity valon ko.. jantha logon ko kyon bathathi hon..

raven said...

uma,

tu tho khud kuch likha tha nahi, doosro ko kyun discourage kartha hai.. chup chaap blog pado aur achche acheche comment karo(i kno great expectations!!!)..:))

Arvind said...

I can't agree more with you.

One more annoying factor with the TVs is that you have to increase volume pretty much for a channel, and when you switch channels if you forget to reduce you'll regret it for 5 mins.

And if the next channel is a music channel, the time of regret might double.

I wish the TV companies could incorporate all our ideas into a perfect TV, I'm sure I'll be in front of my TV for 25 hrs a day then