Thursday, October 2, 2008

After Death

My way of looking at death has drastically changed, but that will be something to write about some other time. Going through my huge wallet I realized that I don't have the much needed Eye donor card in there. Yes, I want to have my eyes donated when I die.

Way back in mid-90s, Aishwarya Rai pledged to donate her eyes in a Public Awareness Ad on national tv, and that impressed me a lot, if a beauty queen one like herself with the most beautiful eyes can give up her asset why shouldn't I?. It was more of a fantasy to me then, and its been more than a decade and i have not signed up for it, its not exactly an easy decision to make when you are young- to make a will for your eyes.

Come to think of it, its just not eyes, there are a bunch of organs that one can leave behind for the better of the deprived. Glancing over the list, I have come around with a few ticks myself, I am ok with passing on my eyes, kidneys,pancreas, lungs and liver. What I am still not ok with is my heart and my brain. I have this lame idea that if there exists something called a heaven and I end up there, I would want my heart to beat over every joyous minute and if there exists something called hell and I end up there, I would want my brain to crack a scheme to get rid of any trouble I will have with the Devil. Yea I know its a bit childish and the most lame reason but then, I cant justify any better. Anyway, I have got to get my eye donor card to begin with.

PS: All you need to do is sign up for the eye donation in any eye hospital in the city and you will be given a card that carries your name and your will to donate. Also do let your close ones know about your intentions, high chances your last goodwill wont be done otherwise.
PPS:I just remembered the famous Kannada actor Dr.Rajkumar had his eyes donated to a kid.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a noble thing to do. Pat on your back :)

raven said...

@rinchen thank u thank u!! i feel so good :)

FlyingHigh said...

I also need to pledge. Now that I can see well, I value the importance of sight all the more.

raven said...

@shradz, it was ur surgery tat got me re-think on pledging.

Anonymous said...

What surgery??? :O :O :O

FlyingHigh said...

@rinchen, I got lasik done to rectify my vision, nothing serious :D Cosmetic surgery rather...hehe..

It might be me said...

:) good looking at the title i thot wht happened to u, neways towards the end i realised few things will hardly change . . . .

good da